Fearless Phil Zito from BAM Nation, is one of the top minds in our industry. Phil is concerned that many BAS professionals may be paying too much attention to some of flashier aspects of IoT impacting our industry, and might not be keeping up with next really scary things — like working with HTTPS servers? If you haven’t heard about them yet, read on!
(Direct from Phil Zito) This past week has been a roller coaster ride for IT folks. I was working on a project where I was integrating an RTLS, A/V, Lighting, and BAS system together.
What normally would have taken a few hours from IT took days. And because I wasn’t dealing with my usual IT guy I find myself having to answer a ton of questions.
* Would I need him to change the CNAME for DNS resolution?
* What CIDR range did my addresses need to be in?
* Where did I want him to setup the server, inside the DMZ or outside it?
* Should we use dual NIC’s?
So why am I telling you all this shi#? I’m telling you because some of you, are about to get smacked hard by a huge change in the BAS world. Yes, I know, there have been harbingers of doom in the past. But, unlike the folks who are telling you to pay attention to IoT, Analytics, Smart Buildings, and all the other “topics” that won’t affect you for many years. I’m telling you about the stuff that’s gonna come behind you and smack you like a Mack Truck!
Let’s take a look at one of these things.
That is a feature set of one of the BAS controllers currently on the market.
* Are you all ready to work with HTTPS servers?
* Do you even know what an HTTPS server is?
* What about IP and wireless networks?
* What are you going to do when there is channel overlap?
* How are you going to deal with QoS tagging?
If you can’t answer these questions then let this be a wake up call.
I discuss this exact topic in my latest podcast episode.