The new BAScontrol22C
which supports BACnet client capability in addition to the existing server functionality, is now available. Most BACnet devices are servers, which do not initiate requests to other BACnet devices other than an initial “I-Am” broadcast when first joining the network. The BAScontrol22C is a BACnet client, which means it can initiate requests and expect BACnet servers to respond to requests as data is exchanged.
“The BAScontrol22C gives users the ability to access point values and/or control other BACnet devices in the network,” said said Zach Nestov, Product Specialist. “The points obtained over the BACnet network can be used in the BAScontrol22C’s Sedona wire sheet application logic, become scaled, calculated, and/or converted to different data types, written to other BACnet devices, served up to BACnet supervisory controllers and operator workstations by using Virtual Components, as well as be monitored, displayed, or exposed for configuration on BAScontrol22C’s web page by the use of Web Components.”
Reading points over BACnet networks can be very useful in several applications such as reading an outside air temperature from a BACnet networked sensor device, reading zone temperature, humidity, CO2 PPM, and other comfort parameters from a BACnet networked wall setter/thermostat device, or exchanging control values/points with another BACnet controller or supervisory controller/ workstation. In remote access applications, by employing Remote Access VPN IP routers (such as EIPR-V, EIGR-V), the BAScontrol22C can obtain BACnet points from devices on a remote BACnet network.
The BAScontrol22C supports BACnet/IP Client and Server functionality using a 2-port Ethernet switch connection. The controller complies with the B-ASC device profile having a convenient mix of 8 universal inputs, 4 binary inputs, 4 analog outputs, and 6 relay outputs. In addition to 22 physical points, the BAScontrol22 has 24 Virtual Points for use in wire sheet and data exchange with BACnet supervisors.
The BAScontrol22C uses its direct Ethernet ports to communicate to BACnet/IP devices on the network. With the help of a BASrouter – BACnet/IP to BACnet MS/TP router – the BAScontrol22C can communicate and interface with BACnet MS/TP devices as well.
Learn more on the BAScontrol22C product page.
Panel Builders pay Attention to the CTRLink Switches Designed for Automation
If you are designing a building automation enclosure that includes Ethernet or BACnet/IP communication, chances are you are looking for an unmanaged Ethernet switch to tie things together. Budgets are always tight, and there is a temptation to utilize inexpensive household grade switches from manufacturers such as Linksys or D-Link. However, we feel you are being penny-wise and pound-foolish.
Contemporary Controls has more than 40 years of experience designing products for unattended operation in environments not conducive to office grade equipment. Our CTRLink “Skorpion” Series of plug-and-play Ethernet switches have the features you need for reliable performance:
- 24VAC (or DC) Powered – No need to find a place to plug in a wall-wart power cube (or install a receptacle). Our switches can operate from the same 24 VAC power source as all your other components. Secure positive locking screw terminal strip connections – no banana-plug here. Our hard-wired power connector is vibration proof and tug proof.
- DIN-rail or panel mount – No trying to balance a desktop switch somewhere in an enclosure while building custom shelves, using Velcro, resorting to duct tape or just hanging from Cat 5 cable.
- 10/100/1000 Mbps Speed – No configuration necessary. Our ports automatically configure their data rate, duplex, and utilize the Auto-MDIX protocol so straight-through or crossover cables can be used.
- Activity/Link and Data Rate LEDS – Each port visually conveys key information to tell you what’s happening on your network.
- 5, 8, and 16 Port Models – We have the size you need, all with a similar form factor. Some models even offer fiber optic ports for those long-haul connections.
- Compact Size – Widths as narrow as one inch and a vertical form factor means we blend seamlessly with other nearby control equipment. Available panel mount for shallow depth (less than one inch).
- Rugged Metal Enclosures – We use metal enclosures for strength and EMC protection. All Skorpion switches are EMC immunity tested.
- Wide Temperature Range – Our switches are 0° to 60°C rated. Office grade products are not.
- UL 508 Listed – Many jurisdictions require control cabinets to be UL 508 compliant. Using unlisted components within your enclosure can create issues and added expense far beyond the few dollars you saved up-front.
In addition to unmanaged switches, the Skorpion family also offers Managed Switches and Diagnostic Switches. These come in the same form factor and with the same features outlined above. Should your needs change, upgrading to a more complex switch is a simple as unclipping one and clipping in another.
Visit the Skorpion Unmanaged Switches product page to learn more.