The Importance of Accurate CO2 Measurement in Grow Farms Ultizing Belimo’s Sensors
Belimo’s Dual-Channel CO2 sensors can help Grow Farms increase plant growth and optimize profitability for the end user. We will take a deeper look into applications for Belimo sensors in Grow Farms and how our range raises the bar when it comes to HVAC sensor technology, installation, and design. Register now to learn more about Belimo sensors!
Click below to register for the webinar on Wednesday, October 16 at 1:00 PM EDT
Join us to learn the basics of airside economizing and why the Belimo ZIP Economizer™ is the obvious choice. We will discuss the benefits of economizing, current industry codes and standards, and how the patented ZIP Economizer simplifies set up with its easy to follow process using our zip code technology. The ZIP Economizer is a code compliant solution with a live display of operating conditions, self-diagnostics, and alarm history. Also preview upcoming features for the ZIP including BACnet capability and wider ranges of values.
Learn groundbreaking automation and technology strategies to help your organization achieve Corporate Real Estate goals.
Join us in SiliconValley November 13 – 15, 2019 and experience:
• Leading-edge learning programs
• Executive briefings and RE tech tours in Silicon Valley
• Networking with innovative peers transforming the industry and access to global thought leaders
• Smartbuilding and campus showcase of leading technology solutions
Register for CoreTech 2019 at San Jose Convention Center:
Can You Use Unmanaged Switches with RSTP?
Customers often ask interesting questions and we do our best to provide the answers. One frequent question concerns redundant Ethernet networks and unmanaged switches.
An unmanaged switch allows Ethernet devices (such as a PC and a network printer) to communicate with one another. They are typically “plug and play” devices that operate right out of the box and automatically configure their data rate and duplex using the auto-negotiation protocol. However, they have a fixed configuration. Managed switches provide all the features of an unmanaged switch plus provide the ability to configure, manage, and monitor your LAN. This gives you greater control over how data travels over the network.
An important feature of a managed switch is redundancy. Redundancy provides the ability to safeguard a network in case a connection or cable fails by providing an alternate data path tor traffic. Managed switches utilize the Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP) to identify and quickly recover from network changes or failures. RSTP allows redundant paths by preventing multiple active paths between switches that can create network loops.
Our newly published instruction sheet discusses the RSTP concept and presents examples of networks containing a mix of managed and unmanaged switches. The pitfalls of using this architecture are discussed and examples provided.
The Contemporary Controls CTRLink family of switches offers a wide array of managed and unmanaged Ethernet switches to meet all your needs.
New RemoteVPN Application Guide Available
Utilizing the Internet for remote commissioning provides convenience while saving time and money. However, accessing equipment at remote sites can be difficult because firewalls block messages that originate from the Internet. One solution is to incorporate a virtual private network (VPN) between end sites such as your office and the remote job site. The end-points are called clients and communication is encrypted – so only authorized devices can communicate over the VPN.
Contemporary Controls RemoteVPN subscription service hosts a cloud-based OpenVPN server. OpenVPN clients (for workstations and mobile devices), and Contemporary Controls OpenVPN routers (installed at job sites) communicate via this server. OpenVPN is open-sourced software that incorporates security protocol that utilizes SSL/TLS for key exchange and provides encrypted data transfer. RemoteVPN is capable of traversing network address translators and firewalls without setting up port forwarding rules for the devices. OpenVPN clients for PC, MAC, Android, and iOS devices are all available and are free to download.
A new RemoteVPN application guide is available on our website. It has been updated to reflect the latest advances in our CTRLink VPN router family such as the EIPR-V, EIGR-V, and EIGR-C with both wired and wireless router options. Nine typical applications are shown in the guide, with numerous alternatives described for each implementation. This application guide will teach you how to incorporate a VPN into almost any situation you can imagine, and maybe some you haven’t even thought of yet.
Contemporary Controls to Attend Building Automation Conference
Contemporary Controls will be exhibiting our products and offering presentations at the Building Automation Conference being held September 26th and 27th at the Frankfurt Airport, Germany. Hosted by the BACnet Interest Group Europe (BIG-EU), the conference this year features a two-pronged emphasis on cyber security in building automation and system integration in city centers.
Increasing digitization and networking in buildings is creating new opportunities for energy efficiency and comfort. However, it also increases the danger of unauthorized manipulation and criminal attack. Hackers are targeting smart building systems using weaknesses in products and interfaces. Contemporary Controls is well aware of the dangers involved when getting your BACnet devices onto the Internet. Our recently published BBMD instruction sheet “What is BBMD and Why Should I Care” devotes an entire section, titled With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility, that discusses the best security practices when using BBMD. We also offer VPN services with our RemoteVPN subscription service and VPN enabled routers. Don’t miss our presentation during the show where we discuss cyber security, our BASpi Edge Controllers, and the Internet of Things (IoT).
With urbanization, the demand for the constructions of city centers which offer housing, hotels, shops, and ancillary services under one roof is growing world-wide. They are becoming the new meeting place for urban life. To integrate building automation systems under one roof, building owners and planners increasing rely on the manufacturer-independent BACnet standard. Energy management, resident comfort, fire protection, and transportation devices (such as elevators and escalators) utilizing BACnet ensures that the building functions smoothly in all areas. Contemporary Controls offers a wide family of BASautomation BACnet Supervisors, Routers, Gateways, Controllers, and Thermostats for application in all these areas. In addition, we are pleased to provide custom solutions in situations where BACnet compliance is not readily available.
We look forward to seeing you at the show. For more information about our products at the show and show registration, visit our Upcoming Event page.
Contemporary Controls on the Road in 2019
We have just exhibited at two innovative shows, half a world apart.
Contemporary Controls joined other members of the EnOcean Alliance at the leading expo for China’s intelligent building industry, the 13th edition of Shanghai Intelligent Building Technology (SIBT) show from September 3rd to 5th in Shanghai. This is one of the largest shows in China, promoting concepts designed to realize the goal of widespread creation of sustainable buildings. The EnOcean Alliance was formed to highlight devices that comply with the EnOcean standard, an energy harvesting wireless standard dedicated to automation solutions using self-powered wireless switches and sensors.
We showed gateway connectivity to EnOcean devices using our BASpi Edge Controller (w/EnOcean dongle) with the ability to push data to Azure IoT Central. The BASpi offers BACnet connectivity to these cutting-edge IoT devices for equipment control and intelligent data harvesting. We garnered a great deal of interest at the show, as there is a world-wide trend to utilize distributed sensors and real-time data to optimize energy efficiency and occupant comfort within structures.
Our second show this month was the Innovation Showcase in Pewaukee Wisconsin. A historic lakeside town in southeast Wisconsin, it is the home of Tri-Phase Automation, a hi-tech automation distributor. We joined over 30 other manufacturers on September 10th at their Innovation Showcase, an educational event which included demonstrations, technology sessions, and the latest information on automation and control trends.
We exhibited our industrial-grade Skorpion IP Routers and how they can be utilized to save valuable time at a jobsite by eliminating configuration changes when machines or subsystems are added. Modern factories are comprised of complex equipment that communicates via the Internet Protocol (IP). If a new addition to the facility has a conflict with other plant addresses, then time must be spent modifying and troubleshooting in order to allow its integration. Skorpion routers allow the added equipment to retain their original IP settings and integrate with minimal effort. Switches and routers with auto-negotiation for 10/100/1000 Mbps are available. Industrial grade unmanaged switches for plug-and-play operation and managed switches offering redundancy were also shown.
Visit our CTRLink products page to learn more.
See everything new in HVACR, including the latest innovations, products and technologies, at the 2020 AHR Expo
WESTPORT, Conn., September 11, 2019 – The AHR Expo is the world’s premier HVACR event, attracting thousands of attendees from across the globe and with more than 500,000 square feet of exhibit space featuring everything that is new in the industry. The Show, to be held February 3-5, 2020 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida, is the industry’s annual opportunity to network with professionals from all roles within HVACR and to view the latest innovations, products and technologies. To register, visit the
AHR Expo registration website.
“This is the event for HVACR professionals to meet together under one roof for networking, exchanging ideas and to preview what’s ahead in the industry,” said Mark Stevens, AHR Expo Show Manager. “Professionals from all areas of HVACR have an exclusive opportunity to gain real insight into what’s coming in the next year and what’s being planned for the future of the industry. HVACR is at the center of big change on a global scale and is a topic https://ahrexpo.com/of discussion in many external industries as well —it’s an exciting time for the industry and the Show floor is a great place to experience the inspiration.”
Each year, exhibitors display new solutions serving every facet of HVACR, ranging from highly efficient equipment to sophisticated whole building management systems. Attendees can expect to explore areas of industry growth such as building automation and control technologies, as well as solutions and equipment relating to alternative heating and cooling
methods, time-saving tools and instruments, and other innovations that support a more efficient job site.
Attendees can anticipate previewing new-to-market products and a full range of solutions and are encouraged to take advantage of the unique opportunity to interact one-on-one with the professionals developing them. To maximize the Show experience, visitors should search the directory of exhibitors to view product categories and more in-depth information on exhibiting companies.
Below is a sample of the HVACR products and solutions to be featured on the Show floor:
• A smart thermostat designed for ductless air conditioners that connects to Wi-Fi for a full range of on-device local controls
• Small footprint fluid pumps that maintain high-performance demands of 10 to 35 GPM
• AC, DC and EC fans and pumps used across multiple applications
• A copper press adapter, made from lead-free brass to meet local and national
potable plumbing codes, that allows for efficient connection of PEX piping to copper piping systems
• A pre-packaged variable frequency drive solution for variable torque pump and fan applications in commercial buildings and facilities ideal for healthcare, education, retail, hospitality and manufacturing
• Packaged pump systems designed to remove dirt, sand, silt, precipitates and
suspended solids from process fluids and increase overall system efficiencies while decreasing operating costs
• A self-contained portable commercial and industrial spot cooler/heat pump with remote monitoring connectivity for real-time status monitoring, setting control, machine run times and error reporting
• A vertical stack water source heat pump ideal for high-performance buildings to provide maximum comfort and performance to end-users as well as flexibility for engineers and architects
• A hybrid fluid cooler that adapts plug-and-play operation for optimization of both water and energy savings at 40% and 50% respectively
• A refrigerant designed as an R-22 replacement solution that not only maintains capacity in R-22 existing systems, but also increases efficiency by 15% on average
• A specialty coating that is UV stable, non-conductive and maintains flexibility
allowing for expansion and contraction of metals designed to protect systems, coils, cabinets and PCB equipment in salt air environments
• Duct insulation designed without mineral fiber or fiberglass preventing mold,
mildew and fungi growth and requires no protective equipment or specialty
clothing for install
• A cloud-based system specifically designed as an energy saving solution for variable refrigerant flow (VRF) systems that works by monitoring electricity consumption in real-time to provide analysis of collected data to create an operation sequence for energy and cost savings
• Specially designed small footprint, quiet and efficient electric motors that utilize printed circuit board (PCB) to replace conventional windings, are embedded with IoT circuitry and are ideal for a wide range of HVAC applications including fans, blowers, condensing units, pumps and compressors
• Inline flow sensors with automatic glycol compensation algorithms to select correct fluid properties for flow and energy calculation calibrated to achieve ±0.5% repeatability without drift
• A condensate neutralizer that neutralizes acidic fluid as a by-product of combustion to non-harmful levels, preventing corrosion of drains and sewer systems that can negatively impact the environment
• A BACnet or Modbus output designed gas detection instrument used to
communicate with a BAS and pre-calibrated, plug-and-play smart sensor
replacement at end of life
• A heat exchanger designed for the gas cooler, condenser, evaporator and
economizer in R744 heat pump and refrigeration systems
• Data resources that provide an unbiased cross-reference and model number
database designed to locate replacement HVACR parts
• A freeze control board that prevents evaporator coils from freezing as well as
prevents problems caused by freezing such as mold, mildew, carbon dioxide,
flooding and property damage associated with melting ice
• A condition-based monitoring software platform that uses variable frequency drives as a smart sensor to monitor motor and applications for early issue detection and solution recovery without the need for PLC hardware
• A specialty device designed to combine four critical functions including hydraulic separation, air separation, dirt separation and ferrous impurity separation to maintain the health of water-based solutions within hydronic systems
• Cloud-based service software that enables contractors to move to paperless
business operation while controlling costs through inventory management and
automated inventory replenishment
• Service management software that allows businesses to streamline operations and equip technicians with necessary tools to close deals on the job via automated service agreements, and to dispatch technicians, accept payments, and gain insight on performance
• A ductless heat pump with built-in air and surface purification technology
• A scale reduction system that protects water heaters from limescale build-up that works without the need for power supply, batteries, chemicals or filters
• HEPA filtration technology product integrations that satisfy IAQ requirements
including hospital, medical and other sensitive environments
• A probe instrument that allows technicians to test a motor for induced currents caused by VFD to minimize costly downtime and extend the life of system motors
• Blower coil solutions for improved IAQ that allow for fast installation in both
horizontal and vertical installations and HDY/VDY features and benefits such as energy efficiency and quieter operation
ABOUT THE AHR EXPO
The AHR Expo is the world’s largest HVACR event, attracting the most comprehensive gathering of industry professionals from around the globe each year. The Show provides a unique forum where manufacturers of all sizes and specialties, whether a major industry brand or innovative start-up, can come together to share ideas and showcase the future of HVACR technology under one roof. Since 1930, the AHR Expo has remained the industry’s best place for OEMs, engineers, contractors, facility operators, architects, educators and
other industry professionals to explore the latest trends and applications and to cultivate mutually beneficial business relationships. The next Show, co-sponsored by ASHRAE and AHRI, will be held Feb. 3-5, 2020 in Orlando, and is held concurrently with ASHRAE’s Winter Conference.
For more information, visit ahrexpo.com and follow @ahrexpo on Twitter.
By 2022, it is said that close to 75% of all data will need analysis and action at the Edge.
With the connection of more devices and crunching more data than ever before, we are moving towards an Edge environment. The Edge is contributing to a significant shift in the way we are connecting, acquiring information, interacting with it, and making decisions. It is enabling us to expand our reach to a new range of equipment and devices to deliver operational value and relevant outcomes.
Join Lynxspring as we discuss:
- The Edge – What is it?
- Why is it Important?
- What is driving the Edge?
- What is an Edge Device?
- Edge Enabled™ from Lynxspring-A look at Edge centric products including the JENEsys® Edge™ 514 and the JENEsys® Edge™ 534, fully programmable Niagara 4 controllers.
The Edge provides the built environment a very practical, accessible, and deployable technology that is a game-changer for buildings and facilities of all kinds.
When: Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Time: 2:00 PM-3:00 PM EDT—1:00 PM-2:00 PM CDT
Register: Please register at https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/88265896272385804
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information on how to join the Webinar.
Please contact us if you have any questions. Phone: 877-649-5969 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to you joining us.
Belimo Retrofit Overview – Knowledge is Power!
Join the Belimo Retrofit Overview webinar to learn about Belimo’s retrofit business and the customizable solutions. Retrofit opportunities are dependent on knowledge and understanding of how to use the available tools. After attending this presentation, you will have a good understanding on how to fill out a retrofit form to make a custom solution. Knowledge is power!
Project Haystack is an open source initiative to streamline working with data from the Internet of Things.
As the IoT becomes more prevalent, data management is becoming more and more central to those responsible for the efficient and productive operation of building portfolios. There is so much data available from today’s building systems and related applications, that the organization of such data is of critical importance. Project Haystack is the most widely used open standard that seeks to address this issue.
Following the success of the recent Haystack Connect conference in San Diego, J2 Innovations has partnered with Project Haystack to help organize the first European event. The goal is to raise awareness of the vital importance of semantic tagging and data modeling for the management of buildings.
This one day seminar will bring together people who are already actively involved in Project Haystack with others who want to learn more about Project Haystack and its implications for system and application specifications.
The seminar will run from 10.30 until 16.00 with a series of educational talks covering the basics of semantic tagging and data modeling, as well as details about the new Haystack 4 standard, which is currently out for public review. There will also be opportunity for discussion and networking.
What is Project Haystack?
Project Haystack is an open source initiative to streamline working with data from the Internet of Things. Here’s a great introductory video.
- An introduction to Project Haystack and why it matters
- Semantic tagging: The value for control, integration, and analytics
- Haystack 4: What’s new and how it compares to Brick
- Making life easy: Tagging and the automation of system configuration
- How to use Haystack tagging with BACNet and KNX systems + ASHRAE 223P
- How far can we go? Haystack tagging and smart buildings
- Haystack 4: Ontologies and taxonomies
- Next steps and how to get involved
Who Should Attend
- Consultants involved in specifying building automation, lighting and other building and IoT systems.
- Solutions providers who want to learn more about how to integrate multiple systems and deliver smart buildings in simpler ways.
- Manufacturers of controls and equipment who want to provide easier management of their products.
- Those responsible for managing building portfolios who want to be able to offer better services to their clients.
Haystack Europe will take place on Thursday, September 26th at The British Library and is FREE to attend.
About the author
EasyIO is pleased to announce our next event as we continue to spread our message in Bali organised by our EasyIO APAC team.
Become a Certified Partner
EasyIO is ready for the future, are you?
As we drive the industry to a new open era of integration and advanced edge capabilities in BMS we need new members of our Team to help us in our challenge!
We need Support Engineers for our office in the UK and the Netherlands. A great opportunity for someone who is willing to challenge themselves to be different, to be a part of an amazing team that knows what excellent customer service and support looks like, and for someone to grow with EasyIO’s tremendous success and growth… come and join us and help change the face of our industry.
Contact Robert Swann on email@example.com if you know someone who fits the job!
2.5 days of direct presentations, customer relationship building, networking and business development activities!
“A well-organized event where utility executives are able to meet with manufacturer professionals to share new technology, ideas and solutions in a brief 25 min boardroom session. In addition, there is a great exhibit hall and plenty of entertainment to hang out together”
— Gary Moody, Regional Director – Midwest, Siemens
“The format of this event, combined with the depth and breadth of the attendees, offered GE a unique opportunity to gain valuable and direct insights from leaders and decision makers that will allow us to create solutions for this key utility segment”
— Mike Carlson, General Manager, Smart Grid Solutions for GE’s Digital Energy business
RECEIVE AT NO COST:
- Access to ALL General Sessions.
- Access to ALL Social + Networking Functions
- Peer to Peer Networking
- Product/Service Educationfrom 20+ Building Vendor Partners
- Airfare (to/from SBS2020)
- Resort Accommodations(4 days, 3 nights, room + tax)
- Airport Transportationto/from the Hotel
- ALL Food/ Beverage associated with the Summit
- Directly present to 100-120 Executives and Decision Makers in 2.5 days.
- Each boardroom presentation is 30 minutes, ONE Vendor per TEN/ TWELVE UNIQUE BUILDING EXECUTIVES.
- Boardroom Presentations are used to educate and pitch about your product/ service/ solution.
- QUALIFIED leads made available immediately after each boardroom presentation.
- Expo Booth on our Solution Showcase floor.