1. SmartGridNews: Sensus was selected earlier this week to provide the core communications technology to support one of the world’s largest smart metering projects: the UK government’s plan to put smart meters in millions of homes and small businesses by 2020. Sensus technology will support the rollout of electric and gas smart meters to ten million locations in the Northern region of Great Britain, subject to contract.
2. Realcomm Advisory. Read Dan Probst’s (Jones Lang LaSalle) “M2M Technology: Smarter Buildings, Smarter Grids, Happier Investors.” Machine-to-machine (M2M) technologies are making smart buildings—and their owners—even smarter. Advances in smart building technology, combined with the development of municipal smart grids, are enabling a new era in building energy efficiency and carbon footprint reduction, yielding a return on investment for building owners within one to two years.
3. IBM Awarded 10 Year $1 Billion Cloud Hosting Services Contract to Assist US Department of Interior’s Move to Cloud Computing: ARMONK, N.Y. – 14 Aug 2013: IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced it will work with the United States Department of the Interior (US DOI) as the Department embarks on a decade long transformation of their information technology (IT) systems to a cloud computing model. As part of an indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract, valued for IBM up to $1 billion, the Department may use IBM cloud computing technologies, services and hosting as the foundation of their next generation infrastructure.
IBM’s solution for the DOI is based on the company’s secure and high availability Federal Data Center capabilities using open computing and process standards. The US DOI will leverage IBM expertise in data storage, secure file transfer, virtual machines, database, web hosting, development testing and SAP Application Hosting. The Department will also be able to tap IBM’s Smart Cloud for Government hosted at the IBM Federal Data Center, the Smart Cloud for Enterprise (SCE) commercial offerings and the very cost competitive IBM AIX Cloud.
4. Johnson Controls: Facility Explorer ABCS: Webex on Friday, August 16th, 11-12 AM CDT for an overview of FX Supervisory Software 5.0. Some of the new features include: * Incorporates features of NiagaraAX 3.7 release, including: enhanced security, updated graphics, mobile applications * Updated Px view templates in the System Library using new BAS images * BACnet® Status Flag option added to FX Workbench Point Extension Manager * Home page auto update feature added * N2 device convert manager- to assist in replacing VMA14xx models with the new FX-PCV1832 N2 programmable VAV box controller.
5. Honeywell Training Portal: On-Demand Training Now at Your Fingertips. We are excited to announce the newest tool from Honeywell – an all new online Training and Development Portal. This new tool will now allow you to access all of Honeywell’s training at any time and from anywhere.