1. Edison vs. Tesla: Toasting a Rivalry That Drove Innovation. By Marissa Newhall Managing Editor, Energy.gov. All this week on Energy.gov, we explored the storied rivalry between two of history’s most important energy-related inventors and engineers: Thomas Edison and Nikola Tesla.
We asked you to vote for your favorite inventor. We asked Tesla and Edison experts to answer your questions about their lives, their work, their rivalry and their inventions. And we took to the streets, asking regular Americans — and experts from the Energy Department and the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History — who was the better inventor, Tesla or Edison, and why. Their answers may surprise you.
2. NIST and the Smart Grid: The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) supports one of the key roles in the growth of the smart grid—bringing together manufacturers, consumers, energy providers, and regulators to develop “interoperable standards.” In other words, NIST is responsible for making sure the many pieces of “the world’s largest and most complex machine” are able to work together. Smart Grid: A Beginner’s Guide. Since its establishment in 1901, NIST has earned a reputation as an “honest broker” that works collaboratively with industry and other government agencies. Over the past century, NIST’s mission has been to promote U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards, and technology in ways that enhance economic security and improve our quality of life.
3. ANTENNA SYSTEMS 2013 December 12-13, 2013, Green Valley Ranch Resort & Spa, Las Vegas, NV. Why Active Antenna Solutions Provide a Superior User Experience: Antenna Tuning is the newest “buzz word” in the RF front-end space. But what is it exactly and how can it be applied to improve connectivity for next-generation networks and mobile devices? Learn why antenna tuning is necessary for network operators and OEMs to continue delivering a superior user experience despite network and device challenges such as frequency bands required for 4G LTE and global roaming, and reduced space and BoM for RF components. The sessions below will explore the latest in antenna tuning, as well as LTE and DAS as part of our 4G Developments and Insights Track. 4G Developments & Insights Track: •New Antennas for Mobile Connectivity – SkyCross •Antenna Tuning is Not a Trend; It’s Critical to Pervasive Wireless Connectivity – Ethertronics, Inc. •Migrating Macro Cell Antenna Systems to LTE Advanced – Quintel •Antenna Performance of LTE Enabled Hand-Held Tablets – EM Software & Systems (USA), Inc. •Managing Distributed Antenna Systems Effectively and Efficiently – Kentrox/Westell
Conference Program • Antenna Systems 2013 Show Brochure • Exhibitors & Sponsors
4. SCADA Technology Summit at Remote Monitoring & Control 2013
For the first time ever, the Remote Monitoring and Control Conference will host one day of SCADA technology related sessions at its SCADA Technology Summit. Included with your full, or one day conference pass, this collection of speakers features one of the most comprehensive line-ups of educational SCADA sessions in the industry. Combined with one of our four conference workshops, makes Remote 2013 a must attend event for SCADA professionals. Register Today. Online Registration Closes December 5th, 2013.
5. Free e-book from IBM. Register and download. Compliments of Datamation. Data Security Strategies for Next Generation Data Warehouses. Organizations are increasingly relying on data warehouses to provide the business critical reporting and analysis needed to empower business decisions and drive results. Data warehouses store current, as well as historical data, to satisfy business queries of all kinds. However, as the number of data warehouses storing sensitive data increases, we’ve also seen a rise in the number of attacks on those data warehouses. In this ebook, we’ll offer data security strategies to help protect data warehouses: Ensure data is secure; Protect the data warehouse; Address the data security and compliance life cycle; Next generation activity monitoring and audit protection solutions.